Never Lonely

Never Lonely

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Gift That Keeps Giving

I knew that Audry's wheel chair was going to give her more independence. I just didn't realize how limited she was before we got it. After 24hrs Audry only needs to learn how to turn. She's mastered frontwards, and backwards. The teachers said that Audry had a blast today rolling herself down the hill and into the grass. Usually at recess she sits in the lap of a teacher, or on the ground in some shade. Not today! Today Audry went exploring. She loves her new chair, and when it came time for lunch, she threw a fit because they took her out of the chair to eat. She likes showing off what she can do. She does get scared though in big sisters class, because they crowd. The cute little multicolored balls on the spokes are a magnet for 3 year olds. As are the wheels. Poor Audry was shaking because everyone was crowding her and touching her. We showed up just before water play and rather than fight Emery, I decided to let her play. Audry took to rolling around the play ground. The water was more exciting then her new ride so we did catch some quiet time.

Kids, God bless them. While I'm all about awareness, and spreading the word, I was caught off guard by 8 4&5 year olds asking me why Boog was in a wheelchair. Can't exactly break down Spinal Muscle Atrophy so they'd understand. I chose to go the "Her legs don't work like ours" route. Each answer I gave was followed by another question and I was literally grilled by these kids. Haha. I will say though they didn't say any of the ignorant sayings that adults do. IE "Whats wrong with her" I swear one of these days I'm going to clock someone square in the nose for that one. It's rude. Nothing is WRONG with her!


After school Audry passed out. I can only assume it has do to the marathon her little arms ran today. According to her teachers she was in the chair all day, only to get out for nap time and lunch. Very proud of her, and how quick she has taken to her new piece of equipment. She may hate the rest of it, but this one she adores. After her nap she woke up and started fussing to get back in the chair. She wanted to color. Seeing as how she is princess table height I'm pretty sure I was more excited than her. Usually Audry colors in the sitting position with a paper between her legs. Only to end with her face planting, and being upset. So I set her up and big sister got excited to color with her as well. They even ate dinner together afterwards. It's really nice to see not only Audry benefit from the chair, but also big sister. Quality time is important but there isn't a whole lot they can do together aside from watching TV and snuggling. [until now]Emery isn't really a snuggler anyways. ;)


"Embrace The Suck"

1 comment:

  1. love it!! see ya tomorrow, tell audry i wanna race!! ....got jelly beans ;) love you all..nana

    ReplyDelete